Excess water causes soil to become saturated, putting excess pressure on the foundation of your home. This hydrostatic pressure will release eventually, causing cracks in walls, shifting of the foundation and water seepage. All these water issues have led to an abundance of questions regarding basement waterproofing and what, as a homeowner, to look for. We’ve prepared this checklist to help you to keep your home as water-free and dry as possible.
- Drainage: Every basement needs a functional and effective drainage system. This allows for any water that enters your basement to be quickly removed. If you have, or have had, major water flooding concerns you may consider installing a sump pump that will automatically remove any water via a drainage pipe. Our high quality, cast iron sump pumps are commercial grade and are the most energy efficient in the industry. With several options available, StayDry has options to fit any need.
- Check pipes and plumbing fixtures: There are times when water damage doesn’t come from outside your home, but inside. Pipes and fixtures can become damaged or frozen, causing them to release water or sewage into your home. Inspecting pipes and fixtures for any signs of standing water, dried water, warped wood or evidence of mold or mildew can help to diagnose where the water is coming from.
- Rain gutters: Gutters are also a leading cause of basement leaking or flooding. With the abundance of precipitation in Michigan, it is easy for gutters to become damage or misaligned. This leads to water accumulating around the foundation of your home rather than being directed away. Frequently checking your gutters for blockages, misalignments or standing water following a storm can also keep water draining properly.
- Improper ventilation: An often overlooked issue, water concerns are made worse with improper ventilation. If you have any water concerns, ensure the area has proper ventilation with fans or open windows. This will limit mold and mildew growth which are often accompanied by negative health concerns.
- Hidden mold: Often, mold and mildew are hard to see, hiding in nooks and crannies and dark spaces. Using a flashlight, inspect those areas that may not be easily visible, checking for water damage and hidden mold issues. Thoroughly investigate, get down low, look behind furniture and anywhere mold could grow.
- Check landscaping: Often, landscaping isn’t conducive to allowing water to effectively drain away from your home. Your yard should have sufficient grade and slope away from your home, if not, water can accumulate around your foundation causing damage and seepage. You should also avoid placing large shrubs and plants close to your home as they have a tendency to allow water to pool.
- Crawl space: If your home has a crawl space, check it for standing water or a moldy smell. Often overlooked in waterproofing, crawl spaces tend to cause many basement flooding issues.
- Installed waterproofing: Basement waterproofing is vital to the health and structure of your home and family. Waterproofing comes in many forms and can be done from the outside or the inside of your home. Let’s talk about some of the ways StayDry can help keep your home safe and dry.
We can, upon request, send out a StayDry professional contractor to give you an obligation free consultation. They will inspect your home and give you recommendations and an estimate for the best course of action for your unique situation. No home is the same, so beware of blanket, low ball estimates from companies who don’t offer an in-home estimate. As Michigan’s highest rated basement waterproofing company, we have earned the trust of Michigan residents. Call today at 1-800-STAY-DRY or fill out this form to schedule your obligation free consultation.
Rain/snowfall combined with huge temperature extremes causes soil expansion around your home’s foundation which can cause foundational problems with your home. It is vital to have drainage systems in place to pull water away from the base of your home. French drains and sump pumps safely and effectively direct standing water away from your home’s foundation.
Cracks in the foundation are one of the most common water leaking problems we see at StayDry. While vertical cracks are common and occur naturally in a homes foundation as it settles naturally with age, horizontal cracks can be a symptom of larger, more serious foundational problem. Our crack injection service utilizes a proprietary epoxy solution that expands to fill the entire crack, effectively sealing it from water leakage.
Often, water flooding problems are best stemmed from outside your home. At StayDry, we offer an Exterior Basement Waterproofing System that involves exposing the foundation of your home, placing a plastic waterproof barrier along the entire exposed surface and installing french drains to effectively move water away from your home’s foundation. While an extensive option, this is our fastest growing and most effective basement waterproofing service. No matter your water issue needs, we have solutions to fit your budget.
StayDry: For All Your Basement Waterproofing Needs
With this checklist, you can prevent or diagnose water issues early enough to prevent extensive damage and the need for thousands of dollars in repairs. Whether you are currently experiencing a water flooding emergency or simply want to prepare for any future eventuality, StayDry has solutions to fit any need or budget. With our 98% customer satisfaction rating, we have earned the trust of Michigan communities. Ask about our satisfaction guarantee and 0% financing options, you won’t be sorry. Call today at 1-800-STAY-DRY or fill out our online form to schedule your free estimate!
Answers to Common Questions About Basement Waterproofing
What Kind of Basement Waterproofing Do I Need in Michigan?
If your basement fills with water after a rainstorm, we might suggest installing a French drain system. A common, proven approach the French drain has been installed for nearly 150 years. StayDry uses the Hydroflo system, which is backed by a 100 percent fully transferable lifetime warranty. Learn more about our French drain installation. The French Drain is one of the best ways to fix basement leak repair in Michigan.
When moisture- and wetness-causing conditions are more substantial, exterior waterproofing may be the ideal solution. StayDry’s contractors have a considerable amount of experience with excavating soil and installing several protective barriers between a home’s foundation and the outside elements. Our exterior basement waterproofing method is backed by a 10-year warranty.
Poured concrete foundations are notorious for their tendency to develop vertical cracks. If left unchecked, these cracks can expand and become easy targets for water penetration. For homes or businesses in which this has happened, StayDry recommends polyurethane crack injection. We use a high-pressure injection tool so that the epoxy expands all the way through the crack, from the exterior to the interior. Like our French drains, our crack injection services come with a lifetime warranty. Read more about basement crack repair.
Basement Waterproofing for Homeowners
Are you looking for basement waterproofing in a particular area of Michigan? We provide services in the following areas: Southeast Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and Northern Michigan. We also provide our services to Northern Ohio and Northern Indiana.