Here in Michigan, protecting your home from the elements, namely rain and snow, is key to avoiding numerous issues. When things like basement floods and foundation settling occur, the structure of your home is compromised, and with these issues comes a host of other problems. Basement floods, for instance, can present moisture and humidity issues to your Michigan home, which can both cause additional problems in your home’s structure, as well as put your health at risk. Fortunately, when problems like these do arise, StayDry has the basement humidity solutions to keep you safe and your home intact.
Here at StayDry, we know waterproofing. Having said that, we know basements floods and the damages they present aren’t the only concern for Michigan homeowners. Basement floods are always serious, but the effects they leave behind can be just as alarming. Let’s take a look at some common humidity and moisture issues and how you can avoid them.
Common Humidity Issues within the Home
Because basements are an area of the home that’s often uninhabited and rarely used, many homeowners tend to neglect them. The problem here is moisture is common in basements and it doesn’t have to be the result of a flood. So even if your home has not recently flooded, you could still develop humidity problems, which present risks to both you and your home. Some problems may arise from the following conditions:
- Rain or groundwater after storms
- General moisture in the home and poor ventilation
- Humidity from outside that enters the home and condenses
- Basement floods
Regardless of how the humidity entered your home, it’s crucial to expel it before additional problems arise. You see, with moisture often comes structural problems like cracks in your foundation walls and rotting wood. Both of these things can compromise the structural integrity of your home and even leave it at risk for collapse. On top of that, mold will begin to form from the humidity, which can present health issues to everyone in the home, such as fungal infections and respiratory illnesses. Considering the damages to your home as well as your health, expelling humidity from your Michigan home is crucial. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to accomplish this.
7 Key Basement Humidity Solutions
To prevent the health risks and damage to your home we’ve detailed above, you can take a variety of actions when humidity levels within your home arise. Take a look at the key tips below:
- First, if the source of the problem is a leak, you’ll need to find and repair said leak before you start dealing with the accompanying humidity.
- If it’s a rainstorm that caused water entry, you’ll want to clean your rain gutter and may need to install a sump pump. You can also have the ground around your home graded to slope away from the home.
- If your basement floor is unfinished, lay plastic over to keep water vapor from coming through the soil and entering your home.
- Use ventilation fans in your kitchen and bathroom, directing them outside.
- Place a dehumidifier in your basement to keep excess moisture out and prevent condensation.
- Ventilate your basement every month by opening the door and running a fan.
- Keep possessions that can fall victim to mold growth away from the walls or remove them entirely from the area.
- Inspect your home regularly for leaks.
- Always check your sump pump to ensure it’s working properly.
Eliminate Humidity with StayDry!
As you can see, there are plenty of basement humidity solutions to keep your home free of moisture and the problems it can present. When you do notice humidity rising within your Michigan home, taking action immediately is essential, especially in avoiding illnesses from mold growth and the structure damage from moisture and humidity.
If you need any assistance, be sure to call StayDry at 800.782.9379 for a free estimate. You can also contact us here.