Here at StayDry Waterproofing, we care about you and your home. We’re aware of the potential dangers that can arise from water damage within the home, but are you? It’s important that every homeowner knows what signs to look for when it comes to water damage, as its effects can pose a number of threats to the structural integrity of your home, as well as your health.
If your home is not properly sealed and waterproofed, it’s at risk for structural damage and mold—two factors that can harm you and your home. To avoid these risks, you should be aware of the many signs that often lead to water damage, as noticing signs of damage early can protect your home from further damage. Let StayDry fill you in.
In preventing your home from extensive water damage, knowing what signs of damage to look for is key. Catching these signs early on will prevent potential dangers to arise, such as weakened structures and the development of mold. While flooding is often easy to spot, there are many signs that may not be as easily noticeable. Here is a list of factors to look for in keeping your home free of water:
- Drips and Puddles – Dripping faucets and puddles around certain appliances are obviously telltale signs of water leaks. If any of these occur, it’s important to find the leak source and check the surrounding areas for damage.
- Soft Spots – As wood and drywall absorb water, surfaces like ceilings, walls, and flooring can become soft. You should check for soft spots after a leak and, of course, take note of any you find otherwise.
- Stains and Discoloration – Stains usually occur around the source of the leak. If you notice stains or discoloration in walls, flooring, or cabinets, there is most likely a leak beneath the surface.
- Odors – When water sits unnoticed, it will often have a distinct scent. Not only can this be a sign for water damage, the odd smell may also be that of mold, which can be dangerous to your health.
- Humidity – Dampness may not be as easy to notice, but it’s a good indicator of water in your home. If keeping your house cool is more difficult or surfaces throughout the home are damp, chances are there’s a water leak.
- Health Issues – As mentioned, water damage often leads to mold that puts your health at risk. Mold can have harmful effects on your respiratory system. If you struggle to rid yourself of some illnesses, mold may be the cause.
By now, you should be aware of the dangers of mold, as well as the many areas of your home water damage can affect. However, water damage presents a number of potential dangers to your home, especially when it’s not caught right away.
Water damage tends to spread elsewhere when not promptly treated. What starts as a simple leak in your bathroom may end up affecting the structure surrounding it. The longer water damage is left untreated, the more susceptible your home is to further damage. In these cases, drywall can swell and disintegrate, while wood starts to warp and split.
If you’ve noticed signs of water damage, be sure to contact StayDry so we can find the problem, repair it, and prevent any further damage to your home. Call us today at 800.782.9379.