Mold growth is especially troublesome to those who are elderly, have pre-existing respiratory concerns, allergies or are very young. The hard thing about mold is its tendency to grow in areas we can’t see, for instance; inside walls, behind furniture, carpet, fabrics, insulation, wood and drywall. Don’t let your family and home down, find the source of your home’s mold today!
Common Causes of Michigan Mold in Homes
Due to the incredible amount of rain/snow fall we receive each year and the humidity that comes from living so close to the Great Lakes, Michigan homes can easily become breeding grounds for mold. Here are some common causes of mold:
- Humidity: As mentioned above, humidity in Michigan counties is incredibly high. WIthout proper ventilation, mold can gather and multiply in your humid home. Humidity increases with cooking, showering or utilizing your appliances. Using a dehumidifier will keep the humidity at a healthy level and keep mold growth at bay.
- Leaky Pipes: With the extreme temperatures we experience in Michigan, it is possible for pipes and fixtures to leak and cause water pooling and moisture in places you may not see.
- Leaking Roof: An old roof, improper installation and ice damming can cause water to leak into your attic. And when was the last time you were in your attic? That’s right, not often. And when you don’t catch it early, you could have a serious mold problem.
- Wet Carpet: If you have an undiagnosed leak in plumbing, fish tanks, fridge lines or washing machines, carpet can become damp and the perfect place to grow mold. Once in carpet, it can be difficult to get out.
- Damp Basement: This is the most common cause of mold. Crawl spaces, especially in Michigan tend to be the perfect climate for mold growth. You can have a damp basement for a variety of reasons: cracks in your foundation, improper landscaping, wall bulging, house settling, floor sinking or sump pump failure. All of these reasons should be addressed by a professional basement waterproofing company. We offer Polyurethane Crack Injection, structure reinforcement, sump pumps, french drain systems and so much more.
Don’t Let Mold Continue to Grow, Call StayDry!
With over 100 years of dedicated service, StayDry is the #1 basement waterproofing company in Michigan. We have helped thousands of people get to the root of their mold issues and get rid of it for good. Whether you have a new home, or your home was built in the 70’s, we can help. Ask about our satisfaction guarantee and 0% financing options, you won’t be sorry. Call today at 1-800-STAY-DRY or fill out our online form and we’ll get right back to you!
Answers to Common Questions About Basement Waterproofing
What Kind of Basement Waterproofing Do I Need in Michigan?
If your basement fills with water after a rainstorm, we might suggest installing a French drain system. A common, proven approach the French drain has been installed for nearly 150 years. StayDry uses the Hydroflo system, which is backed by a 100 percent fully transferable lifetime warranty. Learn more about our French drain installation. The French Drain is one of the best ways to fix basement leak repair in Michigan.
When moisture- and wetness-causing conditions are more substantial, exterior waterproofing may be the ideal solution. StayDry’s contractors have a considerable amount of experience with excavating soil and installing several protective barriers between a home’s foundation and the outside elements. Our exterior basement waterproofing method is backed by a 10-year warranty.
Poured concrete foundations are notorious for their tendency to develop vertical cracks. If left unchecked, these cracks can expand and become easy targets for water penetration. For homes or businesses in which this has happened, StayDry recommends polyurethane crack injection. We use a high-pressure injection tool so that the epoxy expands all the way through the crack, from the exterior to the interior. Like our French drains, our crack injection services come with a lifetime warranty. Read more about basement crack repair.
Basement Waterproofing for Homeowners
Are you looking for basement waterproofing in a particular area of Michigan? We provide services in the following areas: Southeast Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and Northern Michigan. We also provide our services to Northern Ohio and Northern Indiana.