Being a homeowner comes with many challenges. One of the most common is basement waterproofing. When it rains or snows, your home needs protection from the elements. The risks introduced by the wet climate can be troublesome for your home, health, and wallet. It is important to find waterproofing services before the issues become serious.
At StayDry® Waterproofing, we are focused on providing homeowners with high-quality services that keep them protected from basement leaks and floods. We understand the importance of keeping your home safe and dry. That’s why we offer a range of services and information to inform homeowners about waterproofing. With that said, here is a look at the most common basement waterproofing problems.
Types of Issues That Cause Leaks
There are many ways that leaks can occur in your home. If you live in a climate where it rains or snows, there is more water introduced to your home that can potentially leak into the building. Homes that are not properly waterproofed are especially susceptible. Here are some of the most common causes of leaks:
- Window Leaks: Windows are more prone to leaks than concrete walls. There are many openings in windows that allow water to enter your home. Extra care must be taken to make sure windows are properly sealed.
- Bowed Walls: Water can cause foundation settling that will lead to bowed walls. This is troublesome for your foundation and needs to be addressed immediately.
- Tie Rod Holes: These are commonly found in concrete and cement structures. They leave holes that allow water to leak into your basement. The stains they leave behind are incredibly unsightly.
- Sump Pump Failure: Many homes are equipped with a sump pump that pumps water out of their home. If their sump pump fails, it does not do its job. This can leave your basement in trouble.
- Basement Cracks: Cracks in your floors or walls are trouble during a rainy day. Water can easily leak through the cracks and the water can cause the cracks to grow. This issue can become serious for your foundation.
Damage Caused by Water in the Basement
There are many ways these leaks can be damaging to your home and health. The damp and dark conditions in a basement allow mold and mildew to grow. Mold is often tied to respiratory illnesses such as asthma. The spores can reach your entire home using air vents so it is important to keep it from growing.
On top of the health issues, the water has a direct effect on your foundation. Any cracks and bowing walls can cause serious damage to your home. The water will also rot wooden support structures that are important to keeping your home standing. If the water persists, it can compromise the structural integrity of your home.
Contact StayDry® Waterproofing Today
If you are experiencing any of these issues or have leaks occurring in your basement, it is time to get in contact with StayDry® Waterproofing. We will inspect your home and determine the best solution to keep it save from water damage. You can get a free estimate today. Just click here or give us a call at 800.782.9379!