A damaged crawl space can allow water to enter your home with ease, which can lead to a host of structural and health issues. Even the smallest of leaks can lead to issues like these and will need to be repaired immediately.
Luckily, with StayDry® Waterproofing, crawl space repair is made easy and affordable. If you are a homeowner in Michigan, this guide is meant to fill you in on the dangers a damaged crawl space can cause and how we can repair your crawl space. Read through this guide before you contact us for our waterproofing solutions to get an idea of the services you require.
The Dangers of a Flooded Crawl Space
In short, a damaged crawl space can allow water to seep into your home. Even a small leak can lead to structural and health hazards that should be avoided at all costs.
Water can cause cement to weaken and wooden supports to rot. This can cause cement walls to crack, flake, or even bow inward. Damaged walls are a major issue and, if left unrepaired, can increase the chances of our home’s foundation collapsing. Luckily, if caught early enough, crawl space repair can prevent property damage and structural issues from arising.
A water damaged crawl space can cause more issues than just property damage and structural issues. For example, a waterlogged crawl space is the perfect environment for mold growth. Mold is exceptionally difficult to get rid of, and can lead to a number of respiratory issues, like asthma. Mold removal is necessary and you should consult a professional for such to ensure the mold is removed properly.
The Source of Water Damage
If you have noticed your crawl space has a leak or a moisture issue, the first step is determining the source of the water. Often times, this is a crack in the crawl space wall or floor. Below are some of the common causes of a flooded crawl space.
- Water Table: Your home’s foundation rests on land that in some cases has been saturated with water. This can lead to crawl space and basement flooding.
- Horizontal Cracks: Horizontal cracks in crawl space walls are often a result of bowing or displaced walls. These cracks are perfect for water to seep into your home, which can also lead to more serious structural damage.
- Hollow Block Foundation: In your home’s foundation walls there are often hollow openings. If water is able to seep inside these openings, water can collect and seep into your home, causing further structural issues as the cement foundation is weakened.
- Lateral Pressure: The soil surrounding your homes can often put added stress on your foundation. This can cause cracks to form, as well as allow water to enter your crawl space or basement.
- Step Cracks: Step cracks are cracks formed along the joints in the mortar. Lateral pressure and settlement can cause these cracks to form.
StayDry® Waterproofing Solutions
While a leaky or flooded crawl space is dangerous, there are a number of waterproofing solutions that can help mitigate the damage and prevent it from happening again in the future. Some of the crawl space repair and waterproofing services we offer are detailed below for your convenience.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: The best way to protect your home from crawl space flooding is with crawl space encapsulation. With this, we install a vapor barrier to cover the floors and walls to prevent water from entering your home.
- Dehumidifier: Due to Michigan’s humidity, moisture can easily build up in your home’s crawl space. A dehumidifier can help remove moisture from the air in your crawl space, which will help prevent mold growth.
- Sump Pump: Sump pumps are often installed in basements to remove any water that has leaked through cracks in the foundation. However, sump pumps, and other forms of basement waterproofing, can be installed in your crawl space as well.
Contact StayDry® Waterproofing Today!
If your crawl space has been damaged by water, or you are in need of any of our other basement waterproofing solutions, StayDry® Waterproofing is here to help. For a free estimate, click here or give us a call at 800.782.9379 to get started today!