As a homeowner, it is important to know the potential threats to your home. One of the most serious is foundation damage. If foundation damage has been neglected, it can quickly threaten the structural integrity of your home. Luckily, there are some signs you can look out for to recognize any foundation issues.
StayDry® Waterproofing provides homes with a wide variety of foundation repair services. We understand the damage that water can cause, that’s why we provide high-quality solutions to protect homeowners. We also plan on informing homeowners about the threats. This guide serves as a great resource to see some of the common issues that cause foundation damage.
What Causes Foundation Damage
There are many ways foundation damage can occur in your home. Though there are many ways, there is one common issue that makes it possible, water. When it rains or snows, there is water introduced to the soil around your home that can lead to shifting. Here is a list of some of the issues that damage foundations:
- Active Soils: Soil not bearing a load that is moving due to change in moisture.
- Consolidated Soils: When soil is saturated with water, it begins to lower in volume.
- Expansive Soils: Soil that expands when it is exposed to moisture.
- Foundation Movement: After construction, the foundation begins to move as it settles.
- Foundation Settling: Certain types of soils retain more water. The water causes the soil to shift and the foundation to sink in areas.
- Heaving: Areas of your foundation are raised due to the shifting soil.
- Hydrostatic Pressure: Pressure is exerted on your home when there is excess water in the soil.
- Lateral Pressure: Pressure that is exerted by the soil around the foundation.
Signs of Foundation Damage
Luckily for homeowners, foundation damage can be easy to spot if they know what to look for. It is important for homeowners to have foundation damage addressed as soon as possible because it could compromise their home’s structural integrity. Here are some things to look out for to determine if your home is experiencing foundation damage:
- Bowing Walls: Walls that are bending inward in your basement.
- Foundation Cracks: Cracks that have formed around your foundation due to shifting soils.
- Horizontal Cracks: These fractures are caused by bowing or leaning walls.
- Sinking Walls: Foundation walls move vertically due to consolidated soils.
- Structural Distress: Movement of your foundation, framing, or soils that is visibly apparent because of cracking.
- Vertical Cracks: Heaving soils and settlement causes fractures in your basement.
Homeowners that have seen any of these signs in their basement can get them repaired. Ignoring any of these issues will lead to more serious issues with your home. It is important to take action as soon as you’ve noticed any of these types of damage in your basement.
Contact StayDry® Waterproofing Today!
Homeowners that have noticed any potential threats to their foundation can take advantage of StayDry® Waterproofing services. A StayDry® hero will inspect your home and determine the best solutions to repair and protect your home. If you’d like a free estimate, please click here or give us a call at 800.782.9379!