Aside from being a warning sign of water damage, mold can pose a plethora of health problems and cause structural damage. While not all mold can cause these effects, it is always best to play it safe and take extreme caution when removing mold from your home. Here at StayDry, we want our customers to be educated about the danger of mold and the effects it can have on the home and the persons residing there.

Health Hazards

Black mold in Ann Arbor MIMold and fungus spores can cause adverse health effects, especially in children and seniors. Prolonged exposure to mold has been linked to asthma and other respiratory disorders. Fungal infections are also possible, with sinus and digestive tract infections being the most common, although, lung and skin infections are also possible. Mold can also cause allergic reactions in many individuals which can manifest itself in the form of a runny nose, cough, or asthma attacks. Even individuals without any respiratory problems can experience symptoms like a cough, headaches, and eye irritation.

Structural Hazards

In addition to the harmful health effects, mold can also cause structural damage to your home if left uncontrolled. Many types of fungus eat away at wood and cause vital support structures in your home to slowly deteriorate. If the wood in your home has been affected by mold, it will have to be replaced. When it comes to structural dangers of mold, it is far easier and cheaper to prevent mold and mildew than it is to remove mold and repair any damages it caused. In any case, it is recommended that you hire a professional, like StayDry, to handle your mold removal needs.

Mold Solutions and Prevention

If you live in especially humid climate, it is necessary to prevent mold before it begins to develop to help prevent the health and structural dangers of mold. The best, and least expensive, prevention method is to purchase a dehumidifier for the most humid areas of your home, like your basement or crawl space. If there is already water damage, or sitting water, in a humid area it might be best to install a sump pump in addition to a dehumidifier. Sump pumps are most commonly found in basements that lie below the water table level and collect water that has accumulated in the sump basin.

If mold damage has already occurred, your only solution is to expel it from your home as soon as possible. Some people try killing the mold with bleach, however, bleach is toxic and poses adverse health risks when applied in a poorly ventilated area. Here at StayDry, we use Concrobium to contain, kill, and prevent molds because it is completely safe to use and, unlike bleach, does not produce any toxic gasses.

If your home has mold damage and you are in need of our mold control services or any of the other services we offer, you can contact us here or call us at 800.782.9379.