We know how horrible it is to discover mold or mildew coating a wall, ceiling, or corner. Besides being unsightly, mold constantly releases spores that help it spread to nearby objects. These spores can cause a variety of health issues, including occasionally severe respiratory problems in those with asthma.

The presence of mold also indicates there is a bigger moisture control issue within your home. While StayDry Waterproofing can fix that, we can’t cure the health effects that caused by mold. You can scrub and bleach surfaces, but if you don’t address the underlying problems, it will come back. Take a minute to learn about the harm mold can bring to both you and your home, then consider having StayDry come solve your moisture problems.

Is your basement a five-star Mold Hotel?

Water Damage Causes Mold Moldy Walls in Ann Arbor Dangers of Mold SporesDangers of Mold in Ann Arbor

 

 

 

 

Although it’s not terribly picky, mold has a few requirements:

  • Food: it feeds on wood, drywall, and cotton
  • Warmth
  • Oxygen
  • Moisture
  • Darkness

As you can see, this list basically describes your basement. The only factor you can control is moisture! If you have a moisture control problem, it’s only a matter of time until fungus will start to appear. That’s why tending to leaks and flooding when they arise is essential, especially in our humid Michigan summers.

Mold signals trouble.

Dealing with mold is fairly straightforward. However, when mold is present, it signals a source of moisture somewhere in your home. If the moisture is associated with water damage, there’s trouble. Eventually, water damage can affect your home’s structural integrity. Wood and drywall begin to soften and become weak, while concrete can crack and start to crumble.

Aside from the damage mold does to your home, it has many effects on your health. From respiratory problems to allergic reactions, mold spores can become your worst nightmare. Spores have been associated with:

  • Asthma
  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Sore throats and coughs
  • Respiratory tract infections
  • Skin irritation

Dry your house out and banish mold permanently!

In addition to repairing a moisture-causing leak, using a dehumidifier in your home as soon as the leak and moisture are found is critical. Mold can grow quickly, so the quicker you remove the moisture from your home, the better your chances are of decreasing your risk of mold.

If you have a leak or moisture control problem that needs to be fixed, contact StayDry Waterproofing. We have the experience and resources to remove water from your home and keep it out. Call us today at 800.782.9379