Basement flooding is a common problem for homeowners simply because basements are built underground where moisture is prevalent. Over time, basement walls become weakened and susceptible to flooding which can cause some very costly water damage. In addition, Michigan faces some extreme weather which can result in frozen pipes that burst.
So what do you do when your basement floods? Flooding is a broad term used to describe unexpected water in your home. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean there is feet of water sitting on your floor. Depending on the severity of your situation here’s what you should do when your basement floods:
- Make sure the electricity and gas of your home are shut off. Standing water mixed with electricity is a recipe for electrocution.
- If the flooding is caused by rainfall, wait for the storm to end before addressing the issue.
- Determine the cause of the flood. If it was a pipe bursting, shut off the water
- Dry out damaged items. A great tip to follow is the 48 hour rule. If an item is not fully dried within 48 hours, it should be discarded because of risks of mildew.
- Rip up the carpet as soon as possible. It can also grow mold if not properly dried.
- Allow the basement to dry for several days by opening windows and placing fans around the area.
- Waterproof your home to prevent flooding in the future.
In order to prevent flooding from happening in the future, you need to call a waterproofing specialist to identify the source of the problem and determine the best solution to fix it. If you live in Michigan, Northern Ohio or Northern Indiana, StayDry® has all your basement waterproofing solutions.
Professional Waterproofing Service
When you need to waterproof your basement, you might be tempted to do it yourself. But hiring a professional waterproofing team will save you time, money and a headache. Here’s why:
- StayDry® service warranties ensure that we won’t leave you drowning in the unlikely event that flooding occurs after your home has been waterproofed.
- If you ever sell your home, you legally have to disclose any seepage issues to potential buyers. If you can prove the home has been professionally waterproofed, you have a better chance of getting your full asking price.
Our team offers a variety of waterproofing solutions such as french drains, sump pumps, concrete crack injection and more. At StayDry® we offer free consultations and estimates to potential clients. You can read about our outstanding customer service from past clients. Call us today at 800-800-7073