As a Michigan homeowner, we’re sure you’re well aware of the midwest climate and the heavy precipitation it often brings, not to mention the constant humidity. While you may be aware of these conditions, you may not know damages they can present to your home. From full on basement floods to simple leaks around the home, any amount of water in your basement can end up being a problem for your home. When your basement does fall victim to the effects of water damage, you’ll need basement repair for your Michigan home. Repairing any issues promptly is crucial, too, as the problems will only progress with time.
When you do need basement repair in Michigan, StayDry Waterproofing is here to help. We offer a broad range of waterproofing services across the State of Michigan, ensuring our fellow residents are protected from basement floods and the issues that often accompany them. Let’s take a moment to discuss the hazards associated with basement floods and how basement repair can help in such times of need.
Basement Flooding: Cause and Effect
When it comes to basement flooding, plenty of factors can come into play. Considering the wet climate of the midwest, heavy rain is often the main cause of water entry within the home. However, melting snow, broken pipes, clogged gutters, and a damaged foundation can all be the cause of flooding. Regardless of the causes, any basement flood is alarming and it’ll need to be addressed promptly to avoid further issues.
As mentioned, with basement flooding comes a host of additional issues. Not only will your basement be filled with water, but the moisture and humidity from said water can do quite the damage to both your home and your health. To get an idea of just what can happen when water enters your Michigan home’s basement, take a look at the issues detailed below:
- Rotting Wood: The resulting moisture after a basement flood can lead to rotting wood, which often attracts pests like termites and carpenter ants. These pests can further damage the wood.
- Damaged Possessions: Of course, anything stored in your basement will fall victim to a flood.
- Short-circuiting Appliances: If you keep any appliances in your basement, or electronics for that matter, they run the risk of short circuiting and even causing a fire.
- Mold Growth: Mold often accompanies moisture, as it makes the perfect environment for it to grow. Furniture and other possessions will be affected, but the health effects are far more concerning.
Post-Flood Basement Repair: Michigan
Basement floods can really wreak havoc on your home. When your basement does flood, you’ll surely need professional basement repair, though there are a few actions you can take right away. In an effort to help our fellow Michigan residents be prepared in the event of a basement flood, we’ve outlined a few key tips. Take a look below:
- If there’s standing water in the basement, shut off the electricity to the area to avoid short circuiting any appliances.
- Call StayDry and we can come install a sump pump to remove the water.
- Remove any possessions that could fall victim to mold growth.
- Place a dehumidifier in the basement to expel any moisture from the flood and prevent mold growth.
Wet Basement? Call StayDry Today!
Here at StayDry, we offer a variety of waterproofing services to help you avoid the damages detailed above. Because much of the damage affects the structural integrity of your home, it’s important you prevent these issues to keep yourself safe and your home intact.
If you’d like to keep your home protected from the effects of flooding, call us today at 800.782.9379 for a free estimate. You can also contact us here.